To participate in Curricular Practical Training (CPT), a student in the College must:
1. Confirm that he or she meets the CPT Eligibility Requirements.
2. Identify a faculty member willing to help develop an independent study course. To have the independent study course approved:
a. The student and the faculty follow departmental procedures for requesting an independent study course (this may include an application process).
b. The faculty contacts their departmental administrator to create the independent study course.
c. The department issues a permit for the independent study course.
d. The student “claims” the permit in Penn In Touch which completes the registration process for the course.
3. Once the student has registered for the independent study course, he or she must Obtain an official offer letter from the prospective employer. The letter must comply with the instructions on the ISSS site and must contain the following paragraph:
“We [the employer] offer this internship/practicum experience to you in cooperation with the University of Pennsylvania, and it is intended in part to contribute to an independent study that you will conduct under the supervision of faculty in your major program of studies.”
a. Download and complete the CPT Major Form.
b. Complete the CPT Electronic Request Form in iPenn.
c. Email or make an appointment to meet with the undergraduate chair of the student’s declared major department. The undergraduate chair will
1. Review the official offer letter and the completed CPT Major Form.
2. Sign the CPT Major Form and upload it to Penn+Box.
4. The student’s last step is to meet with an advisor in the College Office, 120 Claudia Cohen Hall, during walk-in hours, Monday-Friday, noon-4:00 PM. The advisor will:
a. Review the student’s progress toward graduation.
b. Confirm that the student has registered for the independent study course.
c. Review the CPT Electronic Request Form.
d. Review the CPT Major Form.
5. Submit CPT eform through iPenn to ISSS. Wait until receiving CPT I-20 with work authorization from ISSS to start your job.