Internships can serve as a valuable tool in a student's intellectual development, helping you gain practical experience that augments your formal education and enhances your professional preparation.

Finding Internships

Career Services also maintains listings and resources about internships including Handshake, a recruiting platform helping students connect with employers, internships, event information and On-Campus Recruiting opportunities.

The College prefers that its students be paid for their work, but when this is not an option and companies insist that the students receive credit as a condition of their internship, the student should see a College Office advisor during drop-in advising or email the College Contact.

The College Office can write to the sponsoring company/organization granting the student permission to work as an intern, while making it clear that the University will not indemnify the company or organization or insure the student during the internship. To request this letter, please complete this form.

International Students

See Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT).

International students on F-1 VISAs who have secured an offer from a company to work during the summer or academic year are eligible to do so with College approval in one of two ways.

  • Optional Practical Training (OPT): must be applied for well in advance of the summer internship and requires College Office approval in order to begin the process with ISSS and USCIS. USCIS approval normally takes up to 90 days.
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT): must be "directly related to the major and an integral part of an established curriculum" and requires approval by a faculty member, the undergraduate chair of the relevant department, and the College Office. Once approved by the College office, the student must submit a CPT application to ISSS.