Policies Governing Minors

  • Minor courses must be taken for a grade, not pass/fail.
  • Students adding any of the interschool minors to their College programs may need to complete more than the minimum number of courses for graduation, since only the College courses in these minors will count toward the required number of College courses outside the major. They should consult a College advisor in planning their program.
  • With the exception of Statistics, it is not possible to do a minor in the Wharton School.

Students who wish to declare a minor in the College of Arts and Sciences, or one of the interschool minors, should meet with the undergraduate chair or other appropriate representative of the department or program. The minor will be posted to the student's transcript and added to the Academic Planning Worksheet on Penn InTouch.

Students planning to complete a minor in the School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS) will be required to complete a minor request form for non-SEAS students, as well as create a Minor for Non-Engineering Students worksheet prior to meeting with the minor advisor. Forms are available at the SEAS Academic Programs Office or can be downloaded from the SEAS website.

The minor in European Studies requires eight courses:

1. Two core courses:

a. one in modern European history (HIST 126, 127 or 128 );
b. one in contemporary European politics (PSCI 215, PSCI 218, PSCI 254 or PSCI 518).

2. Five electives pertinent to the study of European politics and culture which can be chosen from a pre-approved list. Students may petition the European Studies advisor to accept a course that is not on the pre-approved list.

3. One course beyond Language Requirement level in a European language other than English.

For further information, consult the minor advisors or the advisors in the relevant departments. The program allows the transfer of up to 3 c.u. from study abroad programs. Please consult the advisors beforehand. Study abroad programs are coordinated by the Penn Abroad office. Visit their website or see the College of Arts and Sciences page on study abroad.

Advisors for the program are professor Julia Lynch or Dr. Eileen Doherty-Sil.

College students receive official recognition on their transcripts for completing the requirements of minors offered by the School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS)

To inquire about or apply for these minors, please contact the office of the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education in SEAS, 109 Towne Building, 215.898.7246.

Each department, program or individualized major advisor will certify students as having met the requirements for the respective majors and minors.

Seniors should consult with an advisor in the department in which they wish to minor, to confirm that the minor has been certified on the Academic Planning Worksheet and posted to the student’s transcript.

College of Arts and Sciences students may pursue interschool minors that draw on courses in Nursing, Wharton and Engineering. Interschool minors are designated with an asterisk on the list of minors.

All College students must complete no less than 16 c.u. of coursework outside the major in the College of Arts and Sciences. This means that most students may count as many as four c.u. from schools outside Arts and Sciences toward the degree. Students who wish to take more than the minimum number of credits for graduation may take more than four c.u. from other schools. Since interschool minors involve elective coursework outside the College, students considering such minors are urged to meet with a College advisor while planning the minor to be sure they will be able to graduate on time.