Policies Governing Minors

Students who wish to declare a minor in the College of Arts and Sciences, or one of the interschool minors, should speak with the undergraduate chair or other appropriate representative of the department or program. The minor will be posted to the student's transcript and added to the Academic Planning Worksheet on Penn InTouch.

All minor courses must be taken for a grade, not pass/fail. See Pass/Fail Grade policies for spring and fall 2020, and spring 2021.

Students in the College may pursue interschool minors that draw on courses offered by Nursing, Wharton* and Engineering. Interschool minors are identified on the list of minors.

Since adding an interschool minor may require students to complete more than the minimum number of course units for graduation, students should refer to the section on Policies Governing Non-College Courses and consult with an advisor in the College Office when planning their program.

Students planning to complete a minor in the School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS) will be required to complete a minor request form for non-SEAS students, as well as create a Minor for Non-Engineering Students worksheet prior to meeting with the minor advisor. Forms are available at the SEAS Academic Programs Office or can be downloaded from the SEAS website.

* With the exception of Statistics, it is not possible to do a minor in the Wharton School.

College students receive official recognition on their transcripts for completing the requirements of minors offered by the School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS)

To inquire about or apply for these minors, please contact the office of the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education in SEAS, 109 Towne Building, 215.898.7246.

Each department, program or individualized major advisor will certify students as having met the requirements for the respective majors and minors.

Seniors should consult with an advisor in the department in which they wish to minor, to confirm that the minor has been certified on the Academic Planning Worksheet and posted to the student’s transcript.