To participate in Curricular Practical Training (CPT), a student in the College must complete the following steps:
1. Confirm eligibility: Review the ISSS website to confirm that they meet the CPT Eligibility Requirements.
2. Create an independent study: Identify a faculty member willing to help develop an independent study course related to his or her major. To have the independent study approved, the student and faculty member must follow departmental procedures for requesting an independent study course (this may include an application process). Once a permit is issued for the independent study course, the student must claim the permit in Penn InTouch which will complete the registration process for the course. (See CPT Instructions for Faculty/Staff Teaching Independent Studies section for more details on this process.)
3. Obtain an official employment letter: Obtain an official offer letter from the prospective employer. The letter must comply with the instructions on the ISSS website and must contain the following paragraph:
"We [the employer] offer this internship/practicum experience to you in cooperation with the University of Pennsylvania, and it is intended in part to contribute to an independent study that you will conduct under the supervision of faculty in your major program of studies."
4. Complete the CPT Major Form: Download and complete the CPT Major Form. Email or make an appointment to meet with the undergraduate chair of the relevant department. The undergraduate chair will review the official employment offer letter. If approved, the undergraduate chair will sign the completed CPT Major Form and upload it to Penn+Box.
5. Complete the CPT Electronic Request Form in iPenn: Follow instructions to fill out this form online. Submitting the form will send it directly to the College Office.
6. Make an appointment to speak with an assistant dean in the College Office.
Please note: Students should not begin their CPT employment until they receive a CPT I-20 with work authorization from ISSS.