College students may begin coursework for the master’s degree while still enrolled in their undergraduate programs.

For academic master’s programs in the School of Arts and Sciences, submatriculants obtain both the bachelor’s and the master's degree simultaneously, with the master’s level work continuous with the undergraduate major, which it extends and intensifies. For professional master’s programs, coursework for submatriculants typically extends beyond the baccalaureate career. In both cases, the total number of years normally required to complete the undergraduate and graduate degrees is condensed. Students are advised to complete at least one graduate level course in their intended program before applying. In addition, students should speak with the Graduate Chair or Director of the intended graduate program.

If you are likely to pursue a Ph.D., we strongly encourage you to apply directly for the doctoral program rather than pursuing a submatriculated master’s. Note that some doctoral research funding agencies may actually disqualify students from receiving certain kinds of support based on the students’ advanced standing.

Opportunities for College students to submatriculate may be found in many of the graduate groups in the School of Arts and Sciences and in these schools:

In This Section

College Events
More Events