XCAT Walk-Through for Study Abroad Credit

The online external course approval tool (XCAT) allows you to request College course equivalencies for courses taken abroad. This online tool is available to any Penn undergrad. However, Wharton courses taken at non-Wharton approved programs will not be considered.

    To request course equivalencies from a College department:

    • Login to XCAT with your PennKey.
    • Choose "Request a new course equivalency" from the left-hand menu.
    • Select "Study abroad credit"
    • Begin typing in your external institution, city, and/or country. Choose the correct one from the auto-fill list of options.
    • Look for your course in "select course" drop-down menu.
    • If your course appears in the drop-down menu, select the course, click continue and add any additional information required.
    • If your course was taken previously by other students and pre-approved by departments, it will be listed as a Precedent. Presedents are guaranteed and other than entering the year taken, no additional supporting materials or departmental approval is necessary.
    • If your course does not appear in the drop-down menu, choose "input new course," enter the required information and click "submit".
    • Follow these steps for each study-abroad course course.
    • You can submit requests as soon as you are accepted into your study abroad program. Note that some departments will not review requests until the course is completed and appropriate materials are submitted.

    After your requests have been submitted:

    • Check the status of your requests by logging into XCAT and selecting "List your requests" from the left-hand menu.
    • If your request is denied, please refer to any comments added by the department and contact your Study Abroad Advisor if further assistance is required.

    To have your study abroad courses listed on your Penn transcript:

    • Submit a course equivalency for each course taken abroad on XCAT.
    • Verify that the course has been approved by the appropriate department on XCAT.
    • Verify that Penn Abroad has received your transcript from your study abroad program. You will receive an email from Penn Abroad when they receive your transcript.
    • Once these steps are completed, notify your Study Abroad Advisor and request that the courses be posted.

    If you have additional questions:


    In This Section

    College Events
    More Events