College 99

College 99 is a course designation that permits a student in the College to undertake independent study with a faculty member of the University outside of the School of Arts and Sciences. A student should consider applying for a College 99 only if his or her interests cannot be accommodated through regular or independent study within a department in the School of Arts and Sciences, and only after preparatory course work has been done.

Students interested in the College 99 option should meet with Dr. Wally Pansing, assistant dean for advising in the College Office. The student will obtain an application form that consists of two sections: one to be filled out by the student, the other by the supervising faculty member.

The completed form will be examined by the Committee on Individualized Study, which will inform the student whether the course has been approved. In order to permit time for a careful review of each application, the College 99 form must be submitted to the College Office by the Advance Registration period of the semester before the one for which credit is requested.